Love locks on Golden Gate


I love The Golden Gate cause it combines two things I can never get enough of - bridges and water. 

A couple of couples however seem to take their love  onto The Golden Gate. 
Found these on my second visit to this world famous landmark, a dozen odd locks attached to the fencing. 

First thought : Ohh..wishing locks, why dont I have a lock on me, where is a lock when you need one! :P
Closer revelation on zooming the picture at home: There are names on these - two names to be accurate. Hmm...
The Red One with hearts made the purpose of these much clearer - love padlocks.

A little google-ing revealed that its a tradition (thought to have started in Europe), where people engrave their names onto padlocks, fix them onto a fence or bridge and throw away the keys to make the "lock" permanent!

I always find (and add) to the many coins at a fountain, but there were surprisingly few locks on here - either the tradition isn't that popular in the US (first time I ever saw this) or the authorities don't find the need for the bridge to be burdened with additional love :-)

------------ Present day, 2013
Since that first discovery of locks last year, I have visited the Golden Gate umpteen number of times to find those lost loves again. The bridge though eternal, the locks are very mortal. Today as I walked I discovered a fresh new set of (rather disciplined) loves! 
Is that why poets always say, no matter what the world does love can never die and will always come back!


Comments

Popular Posts