What's in a plate?!




In recent months I've been into a new obsession or hobby or whatever it is - license plates! Or should I say re-kindled my observation powers. About a year ago, I happend to almost hit a car which had a plate 'Amma Rox' (Amma=mother in many indian languages, and rox is well same old rocks!)

Since I moved back, every so very often I seem to come across cars being named by their loving owners, some weird, some witty, some a bit too much!
At first it was funny, it was facebook-able...but then it got me thinking.

Why do people do this? I mean, an expensive macho car being called 'smurf'? Putting your company's name on a plate which reads 'Beer runs' Well being from a competitor company, it did win a few lunch laughs  about nVidia, but even yet! Ok, thats assuming only nVidia workers would get nVidia frames for plates. Unless its an disgruntled old employee who took a drastic step to get back at the place? Or someone just trying to tell the world a truth so well hidden. Oh..I digress :P

Why do people think stating the obvious is actually witty? An electric called 'bijlee' (means electricity in  many indian languages). Is the obvious, not so obvious after all? Is it necessary to actually express whats obvious cause its not obvious to others? Or is it not obvious to them but to me?!

Ah! But now i'm being philosophical about license plates? Time for a new obsession it clearly is :-)

Comments

Popular Posts